I did it! Three commisioned paintings are now ready for an exhibition. We (me and the organizer) agreed that I would paint three paintings but if I would be able to paint more - that's great. I don't know if I paint more, because busy time is coming but I managed to paint these three - this is the most important. I'm so happy, satisfied and excited! :)
Today I finished the butterfly. I can tell you one thing: if you would like to practice your patience and color mixing - paint a butterfly. These little beautiful insects are just like one big jigsaw puzzle. Lots of details are the best lesson for our patience. What's more, you can also practice a lot your mixing skills, because colors on wings are truly amazing.
I started with a layer of Naples Yellow Deep. I use Winsor&Newton's because it has only one pigment PBr24.
My other browns were: Burnt Umber PBr7, Burnt Sienna PR101 and Gold Ochre PY42. I also had Ultramarine Blue PB29 for neutralizing some of those browns.
My black was the same as I used for the caterpillar: Perylene Green PBk31 + Pyrrol Crimson PR264.
In lower parts I used Ultramarine Blue PB29 + Cobalt Blue PB28 for those beautiful blue spots. And the red dot over there is painted with Cadmium Scarlet PR108 which finally came handy (I used it for the first time!). The abdomen was tricky and there is a whole rainbow. But the main colors were Naples Yellow Deep PBr24 and Cobalt Turquoise Light PG50.
Funny thing was (actually not funny at all) that at the beginning I painted only three legs and I thought it was over. I took photos and happily started to paint this post. Then I realised that I had missed three more legs. So I added them later.
And here it is. The Big Brother Lily and Swallowtail.
These are my three paintings for the exhibition: