Tuesday, 15 December 2015

The Big Brother lily - first washes

I've started my next painting with this big wonderful Big Broher lily. I've applied first washes on the buds of the lily. On one of the buds, the one on the right side, there is a butterfly. I don't know yet if I will paint it as a next step or I will leave it for later. Probably the second option is better, because on my palettes I have mixes of colors which I'm using to paint the lilies. I would like to keep them for other parts too.
It is always very surprising for me how many colors there are on, you might think, such a simple object. My buds are full of colors. I used yellow, greens, blues, pinks, violets and even Cobalt Turquoise Light (PG50) - the color that I bought but was not even sure that I would ever use it. And here it was very helpful (actually I'm using this color much often I would think).
Here are the three photos from the process. On the first one you can see the magnifying glass. I was using it to paint the details but I must say that it was not comfortable because the size of it is too small for me and the frame of it was quite annoying. I was able to see only a small area and I was focused on it but I like to see the whole part, because this way I can make better adjustments. Even so, I think that a magnifying glass is very helpful, especially that my sight is not really good. Instead of putting my nose very close to the paper I can sit straight and still see everything clearly. OK, I'm rumbilng. Here are the photos:




6 comments:

  1. It already looks so beautiful! Thank you for always being generous with sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki! It's my true pleasure to share with everyone my experiences.

      Delete
  2. suggest me about your paper please, love it alot ... so smooth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! :) I have two favourite papers for botanical works: Fabriano Artistico hot pressed and Saunders Waterford hot pressed. These lilies I'm painting on Saunders.

      Delete