Sunday, 21 September 2014

Garlic - part 3

The third element of the composition is finished. It was quite a challenge, because this flower (again) has lots of colors, far more that I was expecting. They all look like they were shining from the inside, like there was a little lamp inside of it. This flower is in a full bloom, I have two more on the right side which are in the middle stages of blooming.

I also have a good news for some of you. From time to time (more and more often) people ask me if I sell prints of my watercolors (botanical and my "normal" flower paintings). Well, I've never sold any prints, but because this question is still coming back to me, I decided to establish cooperation with a printing office. At first I want to print some examples, to see how it looks, and if it's ok (hopefully) my prints will be available to purchase. I'll let you know!

Here is the next stage of the garlic flowers.






Thursday, 18 September 2014

Garlic - part 2

I'm working on the second bud of a garlic flower. This one starts to bloom. The colors are more violet. The petals (are those petals?) are violet and green and that green is nice contrast to violets around.




Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Respect...garlic...

So I'm back! Yay! It was a long journey, but finally I'm back and I feel I have new power to paint and create something new. But my hands also feel that they haven't been painting lately, so I have to start with something easy, just to exercise. 
I decided to check out my old photos I did last year or earlier. At that time I was taking a lot of photos of things that I wanted to paint in future. I was thinking about botanical painting then, but I didn't even dare to try it. So now I looked at my photos and I choose a garlic flowers. Well, I know there are a lot of different kinds of garlic flowers and I have no idea how it's called in english, but at least I know it's a garlic, because when I picked it up (it was growing near a road) I could smell a garlic from one meter.
I took tens of photos of it, at different stages of blooming (I hope it's correct). I choose 5 different photos, where the flower is completely closed, and then it's opening more and more and finally it's fully open. As usual I had a problem with composition, but as it's just an exercise I thought it's not really so important. At first I wanted to place the elements from left to right to show how the flower is opening, but finally I placed the last stage in the center, and all the other stages are on the left and right sides.
Because autumn (or fall) is really close here in Poland, the days are shorter and it's starting to be dark quite fast. I like autumn, but I don;t like when it's starting to be dark so quickly, because I like to paint with a daylight. And in this case I have only couple of hours (if I have a free day!) to paint. I have a daylight lamp, I sometimes use it, but sunlight is sunglight :D
Ok so here is what I've done today:



Not much, I know. But I noticed that the more I paint in botanical style, the slower I'm in painting. I don't know why. I think I put more attention to details, I want the painting to look real and I'm constantly correcting it. For example this bud on the left side. I thought it would be easy, it's just a bud, simple, tear-shaped, nothing complicated. But, let me tell you, I was painting it for about six hours! Maybe it's also because of the break I had, maybe. But when I was looking at this bud closer and closer I started to see more and more details. More and more colors, and shapes, lights and shadows. Gosh! It should be an easy bud! Hell no! I found more colors there than I was expecting. Can you imagine there are violets, reds, oranges, browns, blues, greens... everything. Respect...garlic...
So I started this painting very slowly and I fell there are more surprises waiting for me...