Saturday, 26 July 2014

My old sketchbook and curcuma

I've been preparing for my life journey to Asia  lately, so I don't have much time for painting, but yesterday I was given a flower called Curcuma. I knew about spice called turmeric (which in polish is "kurkuma"), but I had no idea that the spice comes from this flower. 

It looks really exotic. It has pink petals with green endings and a really long leaf. Of course I took tens of photos, because I hope to paint it (more accurately than I did today) when I come back.

Today I took my old sketchbook from the drawer and I fortunately got some white pages which I could use for some sketches. I tested some color mixes first, because in this sketchbook I hadn't used my new paints before. Then I took my nib pen and black ink and I was freely trying to draw this flower. Just a quick sketch.


After I done it I took my paints and add some colors. I also tried to write "Kurkuma" and color names with a nib pen. But it was quite difficult, because I made my sketchbook with cold pressed paper (I think it was Canson Vidalon or Montval, I'm not sure), and the surface has hard texture to write on it.


But eventually I wrote it somehow, althought I have no idea about calligraphy, I just tried to make it looks nice. 


It was a big fun to paint it. Drawing and painting in sketchbook is really different than normal painting. You don;t have to be really accurate, you can do whatever you want, you can feel free and make a lot of mistakes. It's your own sketchbook, and you can do everything. I'm going to buy Stillman and Birn Zeta Series sketchbook as soon as I come back from Asia. I can't wait to see that sketchbook, because a lot of people recommend it and I also have to admit, that it looks exactly how I want my sketchbook to look like. Nice cover, thick and smooth pages, good for watercolor. It seems to be perfect.

My old sketchbook I made by myself thanks to Sea Lemon's videos on YouTube. She showed step by step how to make a sketchbook and how to make nice and easy bookbinding and I tried to do it myself, because I couldn't find any sketchbook with thicker pages for watercolor here in shops.

Here are some sketches I did earlier in this sketchbook:















1 comment:

  1. I like this website, Learn a Loth form looking too youre paintings
    Thanks for all :) (Juliette
    from Holland)

    ReplyDelete